|Lemon - Strawberry Muffins|
I wanted to make a muffin using the most plentiful fruit in the house right now - lemons and strawberries but couldn't find a vegan version anywhere so I adapted a recipe found on the web. I guess I was a little distracted this morning while measuring because I accidentally left out half the flour. (I used 3/4 cup instead of 1 1/2 cups.) My intention was to make them again with the proper amount of flour before posting the recipe but they turned out so yummy that I can't help myself. I must share!
Yes, I admit, they're not the most attractive muffins you've ever seen. They're flat on top, a little on the small side and I had to cool them upside down on the rack because the bottoms were so moist I thought they'd collapse. But don't let appearances fool you! I broke one apart, popped a piece in my mouth and lemon, coconut (from the oil), and strawberry deliciousness flooded my taste buds. I just ate four and want another. As far as I'm concerned, cake disguised as muffins is always a good thing for breakfast.
In writing the recipe below, I doubled the amount of flour so if anyone makes these let me know how they turn out. Also, I used ground flax seeds and water as an egg replacer (for one egg) but you could use another method if you prefer.
1/4 vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
3 tablespoons water
1 lemon zested and juiced
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Whisk together the ground flax seed and water or other egg replacer. Lightly beat in the oil, lemon juice and non-dairy milk
3. In a separate bowl, mix the lemon zest, flour, salt, baking powder, white sugar and brown sugar.
4. Add the strawberries and wet mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
5. Bake in the preheated oven, in a lined or lightly oiled muffin tin for approximately 20-22 minutes.